Re: st: A wish list for Statalist

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A wish list for Statalist
Date   Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:24:22 -0600

On Jan 2, 2007, at 7:13 PM, roy wada wrote:
Here is my personal wish list for Statlist.

1. Make HTML as the default

With free online accounts, most people should be able to access HTML. We really should move on and make do without the HTML gibberish and the many reminders not to use it.

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with each of your points. WRT HTML, there are (at least) three reasons for continuing not to use it:

1) It wastes bandwidth and increases the size of the archives. While these are admittedly less of an issue with today's fast internet connections and large hard drives, those of us who participate in many lists and must therefore manage a large amount of email appreciate Statalist's small footprint, both in terms of the relatively small size of its archives (I currently have postings going back to 2000 stored on my laptop) and the resulting performance of our mailers in manipulating (e.g., indexing or threading) folders containing tens of thousands of Statalist messages.

2) Plain text messages do not inconvenience those with HTML-aware mailers, while HTML-formatted mail is a major headache for those who access their mail in a non-HTML-capable manner. Thus, HTML-formatted mail inconveniences some individuals, while plain text email inconveniences no one.

3) Perhaps most importantly, HTML-formatted mail reduces the usefulness of the archives. For example, mbox-format files with plain text messages are easy to manipulate programmatically, as for example when building indexed web-accessible archives such as those provided by StataCorp. Introducing HTML into individual postings can complicate this.

For these reasons, none of the other lists I participate in (mainly developers lists and a few users lists) permits HTML-formatted mail either, and one of the best software packages for administering lists (Mailman) even provides a built-in facility for automatically stripping HTML out of incoming messages.

2. Updated forum format

There are "canned" solutions for setting up a web-based forum. These forums are easy to use, easy on the eyes, and easy to understand. I really would like to see Statalist upgraded into one of these web-based format for forums (HTML-based, mind you).

We have a fair amount of experience in the use of web-based collaboration tools, and while such things can be invaluable in certain situations, I don't believe this is one of them. IMO, Statalist "works" because of the participation of a group of highly knowledgeable (and committed) individuals, who, when they are not reading Statalist, are, I'm sure, busy with other things. Anything that makes it more difficult for these individuals to read the list and/or to fire off an answer to a question will make them less likely to do so, and will therefore reduce the list's value. I do not dispute that some web-based forums have a very straightforward and easy-to-use interface, however I would argue that even those require more effort than reading and responding to simple email, especially when one does not have a continuous internet connection (e.g., when traveling). And for those who participate in several different lists, using a different web interface for each could be a real pain.

I have often thought that for those who develop Stata programs, a well-designed web-based collaboration tool (think SourceForge for Stata programmers) might be helpful. However, the current format of Statalist seems to serve *its* main purpose (i.e., providing users with a place to ask questions and discuss Stata-related issues) quite well.

3. The Stata Corp should be "in" or "out"

Actually, I believe StataCorp has exactly the right relationship to Statalist:

1) StataCorp is entirely supportive of the list's existence, and even facilitates
its use (e.g., through providing searchable archives on its web site)

2) StataCorp is attentive to what is being said, thereby giving users an
easy and effective means of providing feedback and airing concerns

3) StataCorp developers and technical staff make substantial contributions in the
form of providing extraordinarily detailed responses to questions; these not
only educate users but also help to maintain the list's high level of discourse

4) The fact that StataCorp does not administer Statalist means that there is
never a question about the list's openess and independence, regardless of
whether what is being said is positive or not (from StataCorp's perspective)

Of course, Statalist has been maintained in the past by a number of generous people. There are good reasons for doing it this way or that way. I personally would prefer to see something less demanding, a little more organized, and a bit more egalitarian

I'm afraid I don't see how what you are proposing would be any less demanding or more egalitarian than the current list. In fact, an online forum where a "moderator" would "clean up" and reorganize postings strikes me as both more demanding and less egalitarian.

Reading through the Digest is not as fun as it used to be. Too much to go through before getting to the point.

To return to the point you started with, I believe there may be an easy solution for you. Why not switch from digest to regular delivery, and filter all Statalist messages into a dedicated mailbox. Assuming you are using a modern mailer, you can then thread these, search them, and even set up automatic categories (called "Smart Mailboxes" in my mailer) based on the presence of certain keywords or other criteria. This way the list traffic is kept out of your way, and when you choose to look at it, you can consume it with many of the same features found in the online forums you alluded too. The only difference is that instead of a list moderator organizing things for you, you can do it for yourself any way you wish.

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/