Re: st: Please Help How to Summarize Data

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Please Help How to Summarize Data
Date   Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:56:21 -0800 (PST)

Scott,

I have some questions about your data and the assumptions you make.

1. What is the meaning of the duplicate observations for firms A and
B?  Are they repeated because there are two investors in the same
stage? If so, why are there no duplicate (or rather triplicate)
observations for firm D?

2. You write that firm C receives financing only from one investor.
How do you know that the financing comes from the same investor in
all three stages? Or do you define "financing from one investor" as
"financing from only one investor at any given stage"? Why do the
three stages all begin on the same date, 1 Feb 01? Why do the two
stages listed for firm D both begin on 15 May 95?

3. How do you measure the periods of financing? How do you know that
the investment firm A received on 1 Oct 96 ended half a year later,
on 1 Apr 97? How do you know that firms B and D received financing
for exactly one year and not just for three months or two years?

As a final comment, it looks like you constructed your tables with a
with a fixed-width font. You may want to read this article that
describes how to use Gmail with a fixed-width font:

http://huebler.info/2005/20051003_statalist.html

Friedrich