Re: st: separating string of fixed length into sections

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: separating string of fixed length into sections
Date   Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:16:47 -0800

Thank you very much Maarten! This is very helpful.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year!
Michael

At 10:58 AM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
--- Michael McCulloch <[email protected]> wrote:
> . gen edate = mdy(dxmo, dxda, dxyr)
> (667 missing values generated)
>
> 1. How can I locate & list those missing values?

list [whatever variables you like] if missing(edate)

> 2. How should I deal with those before -stset- and -stcox-?

that depends on whether these times are truely missing or right
sensored.

If they are censored that you should replace them with the time of
censoring (usualy, but not always, the date that the datacollecting
stoped) and create a second variable (usualy and morbidly called died)
that is 1 if you saw the event happining and zero if it is censored.

If they are truely missing than I guess you don't have to do anything
if you are happy with complete cases analysis. Well at least cc
analysis is good for the phase when you are getting your data in order,
and for a first analysis. Later you might want to look in on -ice-, see
-findit ice-.

hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Best wishes,
Michael

____________________________________

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Clinic
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine Street, San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
tel     415.407.1357
fax     415.485.1065
email:  [email protected]
web:    www.pinest.org