st: Variable format in a dictionary file

From   Marco Petracco <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Variable format in a dictionary file
Date   Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:35:36 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Statalisters,

I am writing a dictionary to import a fixed format
ascii data file into Stata.
One of the variables (exchange rates) is 6 columns
wide: it could be expressed in decimal or scientific
format, and when in decimal format could have from 0
to 5 decimals.
In the notes to the original ascii file the format is
described as "best6".
I am a bit confused on the format to enter the
dictionary file to have stata read the data correctly.
I tried %6g but it does not work, it cuts some of the
decimal numbers and it reads as decimal some
scientific format numbers, leaving the others as
missing values.
Any suggestion on the correct format to use would be
appreciated.

Many thanks and seasons' greetings,

Marco Petracco-Giudici