[no subject]

Firebaugh, G. (1997). Analyzing repeated surveys. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

For another, but brief, discussion of the distinction above (including
rotating panel designs that combine the strengths of the panel design and
repeated cross-sectional design, you might see:

http://tmip.fhwa.dot.gov/clearinghouse/docs/surveys/panel_surveys/ch2.stm

Mike Frone