re: st: Appending files using stat transfer

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: Appending files using stat transfer
Date   Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:16:26 -0600

Hi,

I have a number (3000) of excel files that i need to convert to dta files and i need to append them together. I can use the command line interface of stat transfer and convert them and then write a do file in stata to append them together. However i was wondering if the same can be done in one go using stat trasfer. i.e to convert the files and append them togther using the stat transfer command line interface. I read it someplace and had book marked the page unfortunately the bookmark has disappeared!

regards
rajesh

The author of stat transfer will answer questions about adding or missing features. Nice guy.

I have stat transfer and don't remember reading this, but I can't say I've read the manual recently.

With lots of Excel files maybe you would be better off batch transferring your Excel files to Excel XML files, and then using Stata 9's "xmluse" command with "append".

-Dave
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/