st: RE: RE: Special characters in Stata graphics

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: RE: Special characters in Stata graphics
Date   Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:33:42 -0600

Kit Baum <[email protected]> by way of "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> it does not appear that you can change _any_ font in Mac OS X. That is

That's not completely true.  You can change the font for graphs.  Specifying
an 8-bit character code for output in a graph is an OK thing to do... it's
just a little more difficult to see what you're going to get before you
do it because the graph and Results window fonts may differ.

As you know, Stata uses fixed-width fonts for output other than graphs.
The reason you cannot change the font in Stata for Macintosh other than for
graphs is simply because the Mac Font Manager API that Stata still uses has no
facility for asking for a list of fixed-width fonts.  Windows and X-Windows
have this capability.  We had considered using the kludge of looping
across all the fonts and comparing the width of a . to the letter W to
determine which fonts were fixed-width (which is what I suspect the Mail
application does) but figured it's such a hack that it wasn't wise to do.
We also figured that most people were using something like Word for formatting
Stata output anyway so it wasn't that much of an issue.  We may revisit this.

Apple has a new font API in later versions of Mac OS X that we may be able to
use to get a list of available fixed-width fonts.  But that could mean dropping
support for earlier versions of Mac OS X so this method may have to be saved
for a future release.  Either way, we'll look into it.

<character mappings deleted>

> > is Windows-specific. These are not the correct mappings for
> Mac OS X.

We're probably going to make Stata for Macintosh use the ISOLatin1 text
encoding in the future rather than the default Mac Roman text encoding to get
some consistency across all the platforms we support (Windows and Unix both
use ISOLatin1).  We can't do it now because this will screw up datasets saved
on the Mac that contain 8-bit ASCII characters when read back into the Mac.

-Chinh Nguyen