st: orthogonal regression

From   alvaro <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: orthogonal regression
Date   Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:43:57 +0000

Dear Dr Baum,

Thank you so much for your previous answer and especially for the point on the interpretation of the procedure.

One of the problems I see in this solution is that in the first model iv1 is not independent of the errors (it is just the ranking for y1) and similarly for iv2 in the second model.

Having thought about it, I guess a question which remains is why should orthogonal regressions depend on the choice of instruments. If it is just a procedure which minimizes a distance to the fitted line, why is it that I need to define instruments before having the estimation results. Isn't it possible to estimate this method not having to define instruments? Parameters change a lot with different instruments.

Thank you very much, again.

All the best,

alvaro

*