RE: st: metan v9 update

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: metan v9 update
Date   Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:35:02 -0000

I think Austin indirectly raises an interesting
although tricky question of principle here. As a program
author I am happy to mention other people's programs
(a) when I am aware of them and (b) when they
are complementary to mine. And I imagine that attitude
attracts widespread agreement.

But I'm queasier about getting into an
evaluation of other people's programs.
More prosaically, I just don't see that as a usual
expectation what belongs in a help file.

It can reasonably be included in a write-up of a program
in a normal academic manner, as "fair comment"
on the alternatives.

Naturally, I don't want to lay down the law about
practices and a help file can be used for various
useful purposes. I just want to flag that the issue
is a little delicate.

Austin Nichols