Re: st: How I can run a tree regression model in Stata

From   "Quang Nguyen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How I can run a tree regression model in Stata
Date   Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:14:17 -1000

Dear Richard el al,

Thanks so much for your reply. You raised an excellent question.
Actually, the colors represents the characteristics of the players by
ethnicity and income level. For instance, "white" represents for
Rich_Vietnamese, "black" represents for Poor_Vietnamese and so on. The
main research question is to see how individual's perception on income
an dethnicity might have effect on the "cooperation/coordinating"
behavior. For instance, the rich might be more willing to cooperate
with the poor for upward social comparision reason.

Also, our data is structured in the following way. There are 6
variables,  in addition to variables representing other
characteristics of the participants. These 6 variables are:

wb,         wr,           wp,           br,           bp,            rp

Each variable can have value 0, 1, or 2. For instance, "wb" will be 1
if the player votes for a plan in favor of himself and player in
"white" color, 0 if he votes  for a plan in favor of himself and
player in "black" color, 2 if he votes for plan not in favor of
himself (e.g., player 1 votes for plan 23).

Like Richard, I consider using the Multinominal Logit model. However,
I am not very sure if this is a right approach. I would highly
appreciate if you could give me your suggestions.

Thanks so much and Have A Wonderful Day!

On 12/11/06, Richard Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
At 10:15 PM 12/11/2006, Quang Nguyen wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I would highly appreciate if you could help me find a way to run a
>regression for the following economic
>experiment:

Quang sent this to me earlier and I was hoping I could come up with
an intelligent response, but I have to admit that I have no idea!  It
does seem to me that it would be a multinomial logit problem rather
than a regression problem.  I don't understand what all these groups
are, and how they are supposed to affect the decision, e.g. if Player
2 is in White Group and Player 3 is in Black Group, then what is
player one supposed to do, i.e. how are his/her decisions supposed to
be affected by the color characteristics?  If players are required to
vote based on characteristics of other players, won't the model be
totally deterministic?  I have a feeling necessary information is
missing, or else I just don't understand the problem.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]