st: Re: using reshape / xpose

Subject   st: Re: using reshape / xpose
Date   Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:46:17 -0500

Did you read -help reshape- ?

This may do what you want -- but you may run into limits on # variables if you don't have at least Stata/SE.

reshape wide v3, i(ID) j(v2) string
renpfix v3

The second line drops the v3 prefix from the created variables. You may need to rename v3 first if other variables have the same starting 2 characters (e.g., if you have a v30 in your dataset)

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mingfeng Lin" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 12:21 PM
Subject: st: using reshape / xpose

This might actually be a very simple question but I still couldn't
figure out after I tried the reference and the Statalist archive.  I
have a dataset that looks like this:

ID        v2           v3
1         abc         99
1         dce         812
1         kdje        282
2         abc         33
2         dce         221
2         kdje        772

And I am trying to change it into this format:

ID       abc         dce          kdje
1        99           812          282
2        33           221          772

There are over 1000 variables for each ID (those like abc, dce, kdje
in the example above), and I would really like to keep the original
variable names.  I also tried -xpose-, but then the variable names
(like abc, dce, kdje) became missing in the new dataset.  Is there a
quick way to do this?