st: Cyrillic texts in Stata

From   "Oleh Protsyk" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Cyrillic texts in Stata
Date   Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:31:33 +0100 (CET)

Dear Statalisters,

Is there any way I can make Stata to recognize Cyrillic texts?

I'd like to use Stata  to computer analyse party manifestos and other
political texts.   Latin-based texts have been previously analyzed in
Stata with the help of special program called 'wordscores' designed by
Michael Laver and his colleagues(the basic logic: an analyst designates
some texts  as reference texts and then compares other texts to the
reference documents by using word count procedures).

At present, Stata does not consider an input in Cyrillic as a text.
Any advice on whether this problem can be addressed would be welcome.

Sincerely,

Oleh Protsyk

Senior Research Associate
European Centre for Minority Issues