st: RE: specify groups within a group

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: specify groups within a group
Date   Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:02:19 -0000

It means keep the last observation in each group.
_n goes from 1 to _N. Under -by:- this is _within_
group.

_n and _N are basics and well documented by StataCorp
and others.

. search _n

points to explanations:

[D]     functions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Functions
        (help functions)

Example . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Class notes 3.0: Counting from _n to _N
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  UCLA Academic Technology Services
        6/04    http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/notes3/countn.htm

SJ-2-1  pr0004  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata:  How to move step by: step
        Q1/02   SJ 2(1):86-102                                   (no commands)
        explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
        a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
        simple calculations for each of several groups to more
        advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N

%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=757263760&_r=Hotmail_EndText_Dec06&_m=EXT