st: Re: Re: Anova

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Re: Anova
Date   Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:44:17 -0600

.

I have an experiment where a component is stressed (nominally to the same

Sorry for not being explicit in my description. The component is strecthed
until it reaches a specified stress, the first value, and then held for a 4
hours and the stress at this time measured. Due to experimental constarints
it is not always possible to obtainn this first stress "exactly". The
outcome is the difference between these two stresses. My concern was that
the value of the first stress may have an effect on the difference ae a
covariate or confounding effect, and I wanted to estimate or eliminate this.
Paul

level) and the stress measured a constant time afterwards for 5 different
materials. I wanted to investigate the effect of material on the difference
in stress giving me the simple model:
anova diff system
The problem is that the initial nominal stress is not constant and may have
en effect on diff.
How can do I formulate this model? I tried anova diff f1, continuous (f1)
but f1 now enters the model as a both a main factor and a component of
diff.

Sounds like you've got a factor for material with five levels, and measurements of stress on each material at two time points. Material you are treating as a fixed effect since you are specifically interested in each kind of material. Time as a factor with two levels you have decided to do away with and treat as a derived difference measure.

You are concerned about some experimental error in determining the first time point, which is supposed to represent a baseline. One way of dealing with this is to hope that error is not systematic, and examine many examples of each material. If you do this, then you will need a factor for specimen, nested in kind of material.

modeling difference:

anova difference material / specimen|material /

Even when you do this, if you model the difference between times of measurement, you can still use the first measurement as a covariate (I think).

modeling difference with covariate:

anova difference baseline material / specimen|material /, cont(baseline)

If you choose not to model the derived difference variable and modeled both time points directly, the design is a split plot (I think).

modeling times directly:

anova stress material/specimen|material time material*time/, repeated (time)

Post-hoc comparisons and contrasts using anova in Stata are a little under developed, however. For example, it is not possible to specify an alternate error term when using the matrix syntax of the test command. Online FAQ show convolutions to test such, using the cell means anova, but for most users, a cell means anova approach with complicated mixed model designs, as described in the online FAQ, is inaccessible. There are two commands written by others that can help a semi-manual computation of comparisons and contrasts with alternate error terms (do findit anovacontrast or findit sme). Obviously, I would prefer Stata incorporate improved versions of these commands. I cannot recommend Stata to colleagues who wish to analyze their data by ANOVA, because they invariable need to get beyond the omnibus tests and to determine simple main effects, comparisons at certain levels of a factor, etc., using pooled error terms or error terms specific to each comparison or contrast.

As a comparison, JMP makes it very easy to examine posthoc contrasts and comparisons for designed experiments with random effects. Even then, however, JMP seems to restrict the user to pooled error terms.

You can also make good use of Stata's mixed model command xtmixed for this situation. Each of the models above could be done with xtmixed.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/