st: Re: Analysis of text

Subject   st: Re: Analysis of text
Date   Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:06:25 -0500

Yes, it can be done. You should really post more details if you want more help. How are the files structured? Are there multiple lines in each? How many variables? How consistent is the layout across files? How are missing values coded? etc.. Why don't you just show a section of a file?

Without more info, I'd guess that you will most likely use the -file- command to read in the data (but infix may work, perhaps with -split-). Looping across files and accumulating results is fairly easy.

M Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Taavi Lai" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 1:56 PM
Subject: st: Analysis of text

Dear statalisters,

I have a set (~10 000) of text files, each containing questionnaire answers for one person. These files are structured as plain text files without any tabular form.
I�d like to loop through all these files and generate one datafile as a result. Say, "M1" represents a question number and the value for this question is thus the text/number between "M1" and "M2".

Could such a thing be done using Stata? Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Taavi