st: Somers D

From   Deidra Young <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Somers D
Date   Thu, 07 Dec 2006 23:56:16 +0800

Thanks so much for pointing me in the Somers D collection of papers and
software!

The comments from statalist were very useful, especially as I had not
thought of using the wstrata option.  I already had an age group variable,
however it was not equally weighted as in your example. I had planned an
adjustment to logistic regression using the continuous variable age.  This
has the downside of assuming that age is linear (not usually a correct
assumption).  Also, age group can be unequally distributed when created
manually.  So this method of creating a new equal decile age group is very
useful.

How does the use of Somers D compare to a logistic regression?  Is it always
better to use a rank, ordinal approach such as Somers D and tau-a when
trying to assess the significance of ordinal categorical variables?  Or is
it useful to also examine the logistic regressions (using xi to identify
ordinal/categorical independent variables)?

Regards,

Deidra

On 7/12/06 4:12 AM, "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>