Re: st: coefficients of implausible magnitude in ivprobit

Subject   Re: st: coefficients of implausible magnitude in ivprobit
Date   Wed, 6 Dec 2006 12:51:09 -0500

Alejandro Delafuente --
I cannot speak to your data, but your manual two-step is invalid (see
Wooldridge http://www.stata.com/bookstore/cspd.html for more detail),
as you cannot include the fitted Xb as a regressor and get an IV
estimate.  You can include the residual from the first step as an
additional regressor in many nonlinear models to get an IV estimate,
and the test that the coefficient on the residual is zero is a test of
endogeneity.  See below code for a comparison of methods.  How are you
calculating marginal effects?  Carefully, I hope.

sysuse auto, clear
ivprobit for mpg (pr=wei), nolog
est sto ivprobit
ivprobit for mpg (pr=wei), twostep