RE: st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations
Date   Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:41:58 -0000

Yet another issue -- or perhaps it is tacit in
formulations of other issues -- is that it is
easy to find yourself making an assumption that
different states are mutually independent. It
could be that all influences on this syndrome
(right word?) arise within-state, but if
geography has any meaning then at least some influences
(demographic, social, economic, ...) will show
spatial autocorrelation. That is,
Michigan is more like Wisconsin than say Alabama.
This tends to mess up P-values _and_ confidence intervals.

Brent Fulton