RE: st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations

From   "Brent Fulton" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations
Date   Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:11:33 -0800

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have individual-level data from the US on whether a child has been
diagnosed with ADHD (attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder). The data is
from a complex survey design where each child has a probability of selection
weight and each stratum is a state, so state-level estimates are valid.

My research question--better stated from Steve Samuel's suggestion--:
First null hypothesis structure:
Ho: proportion of US's children with ADHD minus proportion of state's (e.g.,
Michigan's) children with ADHD = 0
Using my sample, I wanted to use a statistical test to determine whether or
not to reject the null hypothesis, where there would be 50 null hypotheses
(one for each state). Michael Frone's Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:27 AM
(PST) email provides a method for this. (Need to further investigate Austin
Nichols's reply.)

The second null hypothesis structure is:
Ho: proportion of e.g., non-Michigan's children with ADHD minus proportion
of e.g., Michigan's children with ADHD = 0; As above, there would be 50 null
hypotheses (one for each state).
There are many methods to test this null hypothesis in Stata. From a
practical standpoint, the decision whether to reject the null hypothesis
using the first null hypothesis structure for a particular state will likely
be the same as the decision for the second null hypothesis structure.

I then plan to use an indirect-adjustment method to adjust the states' ADHD
prevalence rates for different child-level characteristics across states,
and re-run the hypotheses tests with the adjusted rates.

Your input has provided me methods for the first null hypothesis
structure--which I didn't have before. And since the scope of this
issue--which null hypothesis structure is typically used in the literature
and the strengths/weaknesses of each--is getting beyond Stata usage, I don't
want to burden this email list. After thinking about it more, I think the
second null hypothesis structure is cleaner since I can come up with
examples that would make the first structure answer a very odd question.
Maybe the literature (that I have read) that states they are using the first
structure are, in fact, actually using the second? But if you have
suggestions for me personally, I'd welcome them.

Thanks,
Brent