Re: st: RE: tobit with autocorrelated and heteroscedastic disturbances

From   marco stampini <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: tobit with autocorrelated and heteroscedastic disturbances
Date   Tue, 5 Dec 2006 07:24:50 -0800 (PST)

Scott,
thank you very much. Your example is of great help.
I still have a bunch of open questions, but this is a useful starting point.
Marco

----- Original Message ----
From: Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2006 3:03:58 PM
Subject: RE: st: RE: tobit with autocorrelated and heteroscedastic disturbances

Marco,

I know one can use -intreg- to obtain robust standard errors (Stata FAQ:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/tobit.html which also contains the
following
"Note: In Stata 9, use the vce option with the tobit command to obtain
estimates of the standard errors using nonparametric bootstrap or
jackknife." ), however, I am not sure what this accomplishes.
Heteroskedasticity will result in inconsistent estimates in a tobit model.
What good is a robust variance if the parameter estimates are wrong?

Suppose we take the simple example:
clear
set obs 5000
set seed 1234567890
generate x =10+ 50*uniform()
generate y = -50 + 2*x+ x*invnorm(uniform())
generate ycen = cond(y<0,0,y)

qui tobit ycen x, ll(0) nolog
est store A
tobcm
gen y2 = ycen
replace y2 = . if ycen<=0
gen y3 = ycen
replace y3 =0 if ycen<=0
qui intreg y2 y3 x , robust nolog
est store B
qui clad ycen x, q(.5) ll(0)
est store C
esta *, mtitle("Tobit" "Robust Tobit" "CLAD") ///
drop(sigma:_cons lnsigma:_cons) c( b(fmt(2)) "ci(fmt(2)par)" )

This produces:

                      (1)          (2)          (3)
                    Tobit Robust Tobit         CLAD
main
x                    2.74         2.74         2.01
              [2.63,2.84]  [2.63,2.85]  [1.88,2.14]

_cons              -84.26       -84.26       -50.82
             [-88.66,-79.86] [-88.51,-80.01] [-56.55,-45.09]
N                    5000         5000         3539

Perhaps this is not a very good example, but I am not sure that a robust
tobit accounts for heteroskedasticity.

Scott