RE: st: RE: LONEWAY & XTREG

From
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: LONEWAY & XTREG
Date   Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:38:24 -0500

Dear Al,

Thanks for your reply.

When you indicate that "the dependent variable can be any numeric variable"
for -loneway-, do you mean continuous variables, right? How to examine variance
components for binomial/ordered/multinomial variables such as occupational
group then?

Best

Lijun

Quoting "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>:

-loneway- works only with first and second moments of the data and thus
will unbiasedly estimate between and within variance components,
regardless of the distribution of the data (as long as it it numeric).
The dependent variable can be any numeric variable.

-xtreg- assumes the within- and between-class errors come from normal
distributions and estimates their variances by maximum likelihood with a
GLS regression model. So if the data is not normally distributed, you
can get completely different results and -xtreg- is not to be believed.
However in this case the value of knowing values of variance components
is questionable. On the other hand, if the data really are normal,
-xtreg- should be more efficient than -loneway-.

Al Feiveson