st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations

From   "Brent Fulton" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: statistical test to compare two survey means from two estimating equations
Date   Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:15:41 -0800

I'm using Stata 9.2 and my dataset includes a complex survey design with
pweights and strata IDs, which are states. I have individual-level
observations within each state and want to perform a simple statistical
test: does the national mean of variable y equal the state of e.g.,
Michigan's mean of y, where y is 0/1.

I've run the following and can examine if the e.g., 95% CI's overlap, but
would like to calculate the p-value that the means are equal.
.svy: mean y
.svy: mean y, subpop(Michigan_dummy)

Is there a post-estimation test that can compare the survey-based means
above?

I've also thought of the following, but both compare Michigan to
non-Michigan states (not the nation).
.svy: logit y Michigan_dummy
.svy: tab y Michigan_dummy

Thanks,