Re: st: Get the level of significance for the difference of two means

From   "Nirina F" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Get the level of significance for the difference of two means
Date   Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:49:39 -0500

makes sense.
Thanks alot
Nirina

On 12/3/06, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
The p-value of the parameter of foreign in the regression output is
that p-value, all other commands in are just there to show that regress
just compares the means, i.e. you can reproduce the two means with
-adjust-. A more direct way is to use -ttest price, by(foreign)-, but
as you can see if you type that after my example it will produce the
same result, and I just like regression.

HTH,
Maarten

--- Nirina F <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks Marteen, I tried it but it does not give me the p-value of the
> test that tests that the difference in the mean of price of foreign
> and domestic is equal or not to zero?
> Do you see my point? (or may be I didn't see where to look at the
> significance).
> could you please let me know?
> Best regards,
> Nirina
>
> On 12/3/06, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> > --- Nirina F <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > could you please help me how do I Get the level of significance
> for
> > > the difference of two means?
> >
> > Nirina:
> > Say you wanted to know the difference in mean price of foreign and
> > domestic cars. You can type -regress price foreign- and the
> parameter
> > of foreign will be the difference and the p-value will be the level
> of
> > significance for a t-test of the null hypothesis that that
> difference
> > is zero. See example below:
> > HTH,
> > Maarten
> >
> > *----------- begin example -----------
> > sysuse auto, clear
> > table foreign, c(mean price) format(%9.2f)
> > reg price foreign
> > adjust, by(foreign)
> > *------------ end example ------------

> > Maarten L. Buis
> > Department of Social Research Methodology
> > Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
> > Boelelaan 1081
> > 1081 HV Amsterdam
> > The Netherlands
> >
> > visiting address:
> > Buitenveldertselaan 3 (Metropolitan), room Z434
> >
> > +31 20 5986715
> >
> > http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> > *