st: poisson vs cox

From   "raoul reulen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: poisson vs cox
Date   Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:03:33 +0000

Hi,

I am running a poisson regression, but if I run a cox regression and
use the same covariates, then some of the rate ratios clearly differ
between the models. I always thought that a cox regression should give
approx. the same results as a poisson regression. What could be the
reason for this?

In more detail:

I first stset with age as time:
.stset dox, fail(fail) enter(doe) origin(dob) id(id)

then I used stsplit to create age and calender period bands and used
poisson regression with additional covariates (sex, age at diagnosis,
treatment etc)..

then, as a check and out of curiousity I ran a cox regression model,
but the rate ratios for treatment and in particular for age at
diagnosis differ between the models.

Thanks for your help.

Raoul