Re: st: RE: Filling gaps???

Subject   Re: st: RE: Filling gaps???
Date   Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:07:29 -0500

Honorati Masanja--
I prefer Scott Merryman's (and Michael Blasnik's second) solution to
the others for one simple reason: it accounts for the *possibility*
that Infected is missing.  The others fail to bring potential problems
with missing values to light, by coding cases where households have
missing values as one or zero.  You may have a good reason for coding
such households as "infected" or "not" even in the presence of missing
values at the individual level (such as a skip pattern of questions
that ensures that anyone for whom Infected is missing is sure to be
uninfected), but that extra step of what to do in the case of missing
values at the individual level should be coded explicitly, or at least
should be checked to see if it matters, IMHO:

egen anyone_coded_infected=max(Infected), by(HouseholdID)
bys HouseholdID (Infected): g HHinfected = Infected[_N]
tab HHinfected anyone_coded_infected, mi