st: RE: Filling gaps???

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Filling gaps???
Date   Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:02:50 +0100

--- Honorati Masanja wrote:
> I have a dataset with individuals in households. Each individual has a
> unique identifier. Some individuals in the households are infected and
> some are not. My problem is how do I tell Stata to create a new variable
> which will have 1 for households with at least one infected person  and
> 0 for households without infected persons.

Honorati Masanja:
Yesterday I posted a way of doing this on the statalist, see:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-11/msg00841.html. Applying it
to your data would look like the example below:

*-------------- begin example ---------------------
input HouseholdID  PersonID      Infected
010101         01010101        1
010101         01010102        1
010102         01010201        0
010102         01010202        1
010102         01010203        1
010103         01010301        0
010103         01010302        0
010103         01010303        0
010104         01010401        0
010104         01010402        1
end

bys HouseholdID: egen tinfected = total(Infected)
gen houseinfected = tinfected>=1
*---------------- end example ----------------------

HTH,
Maarten