st: Re: Programming interface to reg ?

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Programming interface to reg ?
Date   Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:58:22 -0500

Thomas,

You don't have to reinvent the wheel, why don't use -regress- or -_regress-
after this you can recover the parameter, type -ereturn list-.

For robust estimation use option -robust-, see the manual for formulae.
But if you still want to create a routine, take a look of -_robust- in the
Programming book.

Rodrigo.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Corneli�en" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:31 AM
Subject: st: Programming interface to reg ?

Dear Statalisters,
I wish to estimate the model y = X b + e by OLS.
I have a program that creates the matrices X'X and X'y of my problem in an
efficient way (loading the whole X matrix into the memory would be
inefficient because it is sparse).

My question is: After having constructed X'X and X'y (the system of normal
equations) can I provide these to Stata and tell it to do with it everything
it uses to do when it computes OLS estimates with the -reg- command? And
also use the options of -reg-?
If it is not possible at the step of X'X and X'y, then maybe can I use some
options of -reg- even after I have estimates of b and Var(b) at my disposal
?  (My main concern is getting clustered or robust standard errors.)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Thomas

Thomas Cornelissen
Institute of Empirical Economic Research
Leibniz Universit�t Hannover, Germany