st: aspect ratio and font size

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: aspect ratio and font size
Date   Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:52:07 +0100

I want to change the aspect ratio of a graph (and not the
aspect ratio of the plot region). I am doing that with the
ysize and/or xsize option, following the advise in
[G] region_options. However, this tends to change the font
size of all texts in the graph. Furthermore this appears
to depend on the aspect ratio and not the final size of
the graph, see the example below. Is this logical/intended/
a feature?

For the aspect ratio I am looking for (about 1) the fonts tend
to be too big for my taste. Is there way of changing the sizes
of all the fonts other than manually changing them for each
axis label, axis title, title?

Best,
Maarten

*--------- begin example ---------
sysuse auto
scatter price mpg, name(normal, replace)
scatter price mpg, xsize(4) name(abnormal1, replace)
/*This way I get an aspectratio of about 1, which is good
  but the all fonts look too big, which is bad */

scatter price mpg, xsize(1) name(abnormal2, replace)
/*This way I get an aspectratio is way off, which is bad
  but the all fonts look smaller, which is good */

scatter price mpg, xsize(1) ysize(1) name(abnormal3, replace)
/*This way I get an aspectratio of about 1 again, which is good
  but the all fonts look too big, which is bad */

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam