st: Help with varlist manipulation

From   "K Jensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Help with varlist manipulation
Date   Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:51:39 +0000

Hi everybody

I am writing an ado file to help with some modelling I'm doing. One of
the input arguments is a varlist of the independent variables.

I am trying to produce additional "friendly" output to describe the
model, particularly for variables produced using "xi" from categorical
data. It is only me using it--so I know that I won't be making dummy
variables differently--but other people will be looking at the output.

Using the auto data as an example say my varlist was:
mpg _Irep78_2 _Irep78_3 _Irep78_4 _Irep78_5 length (method always
involves a constant)

I would like to dereference the varlist to become just a list with
string members and from it produce the list:
"mpg" "rep78 (categorical)" "length"

I have tried looping through the varlist and trying various string
functions on it but am getting nowhere.

Thanks for your help!
Karin