st: RE: Using one variable to label another

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Using one variable to label another
Date   Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:49:46 -0000

Please don't use a posting in one thread
to start another.

What you want may be -labmask- from -labutil- on SSC.

Doogar, Rajib

> In Stat 9.2, how can I use the values of v2 (str 40, say) to label v1
> (int)?  My data looks something like this:
>
> V1      V2
> 1234    somerandomstring1
> 1234    somerandomstring1
> 2345    somerandomstring2
> 6578    somerandomstringn
> etc.
>
> I tried to encode v2 and then attach the resulting label to v1.  I
> encoded v2 all right, but then got stumped by how correctly
> to link the
> labels to the values of v1.  Encoding v2 gave me labels numbered 1 to
> xxx, but v1 is a four digit number (although it does take exactly xxx
> distinct values).

<irrelevant thread deleted>