Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: Data Manipulation Question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Data Manipulation Question
Date   Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:23:57 -0000

This is an FAQ.

replace Parent = Parent[_n-1] if missing(Parent)

would work in this example.

More generally, see
How can I replace missing values with previous or following nonmissing values?
How can I replace missing values within sequences?

Bob Yaffee's approach based on pretending that this is a panel
data set can thus be avoided. His further suggestion of
using -destring- wouldn't work, as -Parent- has no numeric
interpretation,  and is also unnecessary, as the logic of
the device above applies to both numeric and string variables.

Socrates Mokkas