st: Re: Re: ordinal no longer ordinal

From   "Christer Thrane" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Re: ordinal no longer ordinal
Date   Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:21:34 +0100

Hi,

I would say -- "good for you".

If you add three of your original ordinal variables your new variable has values fronm 0 to 12. In most cases, given that zeroes do not dominate the dsitribution, I would have few reservations against using the new variable as dependent witin a linear (i.e. OLS) framework.

The two remaining ordinal (0/4) varibles could be anlyzed with -ologit- or -oprobit-.

BR

Christer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Campo" <[email protected]>
To: "Marc Campo" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 5:56 AM
Subject: st: Re: ordinal no longer ordinal

Hi all:

 I am entering ordinal variables into LR as
continuous I have 5
ordinal indep vars all based on frequencies coded:
0 - 0x.day
1-1-5/day
2-6-10x/day
3 - 11-15x/day
4 - More than 15

Three of them are highly related and I would like to
combine them. However, just adding them establishes a
new variable that is not ordinal.  What to do?

Thanks!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated