st: Accessing the value of the sort variable in a byable program

From   "Jackson, Catherine A." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Accessing the value of the sort variable in a byable program
Date   Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:24:08 -0800

I'm working on a program that will generate a series of tables for
various academic departments.  I want each department's tables to be
together so I've written a fairly generalizable "byable" program as
follows:

>program define neat, byable(recall)
>      version 9.2
>
>      marksample touse
>
>      display "Total enrollment"
>      tab newterm if `touse'
>
>      display "Total enrollment by credit status"
>      tab regcred if `touse'
>
>      end
>
>sort subject
>by subject: neat

I'd like to enhance the output by displaying the current subject_value
in the title of each table (the current subject_value is printed at the
top of each series of tables automatically).  I've tried a variety of
statements including:
>display subject "  subject"
>display `_byvars' "  _byvars"
However, I always get the first subject_value, rather than the current
subject_value as indicated by the -> automatic heading.

Does anyone know how I can capture the current subject value and print
it out as part of the program?

Thanks.
Catherine

Catherine A. Jackson, Ph.D.