st: installing overid on network

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: installing overid on network
Date   Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:21:22 -0500

There should be no problem for an IT manager to install any SSC module on the network (SITE) directory provided she has appropriate permission to do so. ssc has no magical powers, as Nick Cox said, but if you can -net set ado SITE- then that is the ado-directory into which ssc will install. Here is an illustration from a machine on which I have sysadmin privileges:

. adopath
[1] (UPDATES) "/Applications/Stata/ado/updates/"
[2] (BASE) "/Applications/Stata/ado/base/"
[3] (SITE) "/Applications/ado/"
[4] "."
[5] (PERSONAL) "~/ado/personal/"
[6] (PLUS) "~/ado/plus/"
[7] (OLDPLACE) "~/ado/"

. net set ado SITE

. ssc install overid
checking overid consistency and verifying not already installed...
installing into /Applications/ado/...
installation complete.

. which overid
/Applications/ado/o/overid.ado
*! overid V2.0.0 C F Baum, Vince Wiggins, Steve Stillman, Mark Schaffer

If I had used ssc install without net set ado SITE, it would have gone into PERSONAL.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/