Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: scatterplot with points labeled with names of variables?

From   "Christopher W. Ryan" <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: scatterplot with points labeled with names of variables?
Date   Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:23:35 -0500

I want to try producing overlaid scatterplots, in which each overlaid
graph is a scatterplot of two variables, using data from just one
observation.  In otherwords, each individual scatterplot would consist
of just one point.  Since I have 8 variables, graphing them in pairs
would produce 4 individual scatterplots which, when overlaid, would
produce a graph with just 4 points, representing data from just one

Each variable is measured on the same -10 to +10 scale.

The axes would have to be blank, since for each visible point, the axes
would be of two different variables.

I would like to label each point with the two variables that generated
it, like this (using X as the msymbol)

          X (var1,var2)

                      X (var3,var4)

      X (var5,var6)

I was able to produce the graphs just fine, but I don't know if there is
a way to make the variable names appear in pairs as labels for the
points.  Any ideas?

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY
GnuPG and PGP public keys available at

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]