RE: st: overid test after ivprobit

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: overid test after ivprobit
Date   Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:16:08 -0000

-ssc- has no magic whereby you can install files in
any places in which you have no right to install them.
If it were otherwise, you would have a way to subvert
standard restrictions on networked system installation
which would be variously illegal, unethical and -- to
put it mildly -- disconcerting to IT managers, systems
administrators, etc.

But that's secondary to the main points, which are

1. using a browser is a lousy way to install things whenever
you call -ssc- instead;

2. why do people persist in trying that given the multiple
explanations of why it's a bad idea (in our own Statalist
FAQ for example, which posters are all asked to read)?

In networked situations I routinely
migrate to students' own filespace in helping them
install stuff from SSC that happens not to be installed
locally. Here I tend to use -ssc copy-.

Ramani Gunatilaka

> Thanks for this. But would
> ssc install overid, replace
> also apply in the case of a networked system? The IT Manager in my
> department is finding it difficult to install this ado file on the
> network.
> Sorry for the bother.

Kit Baum