st: RE: Samspi non normality?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Samspi non normality?
Date   Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:53:31 -0000

As Jeph says, it depends on what kind of non-normality you are going to
assume. A common alternative is the lognormal assumption, although I
don't know if that is what you want to use in your case. If we think the
data are lognormal within groups, then we test for detectable geometric
mean ratios, not detectable arithmetic mean differences.

You might like to read my paper on the -powercal- package (Newson,
2004), which discusses power calculations for a wide range of non-normal
cases, including lognormal geometric mean ratios, and even detectable
levels of Somers' D when rank methods are used. The -powercal- package
can be downloaded from SSC using the -ssc- command in Stata. If you do
not have access to The Stata Journal, then you can download a
pre-publication draft from my website (see my signature below).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. Generalized power calculations for generalized linear models
and more. The Stata Journal 2004; 4(4): 379-401. Download
pre-publication draft from my website at
www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute