st: a humble plea - text editors

From   David Wesley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: a humble plea - text editors
Date   Thu, 09 Nov 2006 07:09:03 -0500

It always amazes me to observe how many good text editors are available. Nonetheless, I was surprised that no one mentioned my favorites.

Ultra-Edit is an excellent choice for Windows sufferers. It features a configuration option for Stata syntax highlighting. This is currently stuck in version 7, but the syntax file is available for user modification. Maybe I should do a thorough update to version 9, but for now I have merely added /// to highlight to-end-of-line text as comments.

Ultra-Edit also has a "Project" setup that helps me organize my various do-files, logs, and dictionaries.

For large files, I use VEdit. The user interface is rudimentary compared to Ultra-Edit, but for tasks such as replacing semi-colons with commas in a four million record text file, there is nothing better. VEdit is a "disk-based" editor, so no file is too big.

VEdit also does EBCDIC conversions.

David Wesley, M.D.
Charlotte, NC

*