st: RE: Grid Search in a Log Plus Constant Model

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Grid Search in a Log Plus Constant Model
Date   Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:03:27 -0600

Another possibility is the inverse hyperbolic since transformation.  A
recent paper that uses this method is available at:

http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/contributions/vol5/iss1/art20/

The data and Stata code is also available to download.

Scott

AUTHOR:
Karen M. Pence, Federal Reserve Board of Governors

TITLE:
The Role of Wealth Transformations: An Application to Estimating the Effect
of Tax Incentives on Saving

SUGGESTED CITATION:
Karen M. Pence (2006) "The Role of Wealth Transformations: An Application to
Estimating the Effect of Tax Incentives on Saving", Contributions to
Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 5: No. 1, Article 20.
http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/contributions/vol5/iss1/art20

ABSTRACT:
Researchers may want to estimate the percentage change of a variable, such
as household wealth or corporate profits, that takes on economically
significant nonpositive values. Using the logarithmic transformation,
however, requires discarding observations with nonpositive values. This
paper describes a possible solution to this problem-the inverse hyperbolic
sine transformation-and shows how to implement this transformation optimally
in the case of median regression. As an illustration of the usefulness of
this transformation, I revisit a specification sometimes used to estimate
the effect of tax incentives on household saving.