st: Random number generation in stata

From   "P.Musonda" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Random number generation in stata
Date   Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:45:25 -0000

Dear stata list,

I am trying to create a simulation program in stata. In this simulation, I would like to generate random numbers arising in various ranges, for example numbers between 0 to10, 0 to15, 0 to 20, 20 to 10 etc for several variables e.g. x1, x2, x3, x4 etc. Using the uniform distribution random number generator I can generate random numbers 0 to 10, or 0 to 100 without any problem by doing something like:

gen x1=int(10*uniform())

How can I generate random numbers from other ranges, for example 15 to 35 and how can I do this for several variables at once for example 5 observation with three variables as shown below for random numbers 1 to 10, 8 to 15 and 10 to 25 respectively as shown below

ob    x1   x2     x3
1      3     12     21
2      9     8       18
3      0     10     11