st: Generating blank observations

From   "Patrick Woodburn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Generating blank observations
Date   Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:44:11 +0300

Dear Statalist,

This is my first post to the list, and I hope it is clear enough.  I
just have one question for now:

If I have an id variable called "var1" with a selection of unique values
in a given range of integers (eg the values 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9), and I
want to create new observations which contain each missing value in that
range and are blank for all other variables (eg new observations
containing 2, 4, 8 and 10) and a new variable to flag that they have
been artificially generated, what do I do?  Currently, all I can think
of is the rather roundabout way of doing it below, but I can't help but
think that surely there must be a more efficient method.

Best regards,

Patrick

*Code begins (dataset already open)

preserve
keep var1
drop if var1==.
bysort var1: assert _n==1
gen flag=0
gen id=1
reshape wide flag, i(id) j(var1)
forvalues i=1/10 {
    cap gen flag`i'=1
}
reshape long flag, i(id) j(var1)
drop id
keep if flag==1
save var1skippedvalues
restore
append using var1skippedvalues

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of
information that is confidential, proprietary, subject to copyright or
constitutes legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying, printing
or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
is Illegal. If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Medical Research Council deserves the right to monitor all
communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states
otherwise and the sender to state them to be the views of any such entity.