Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: RE: Do-File editor : a humble plea

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Do-File editor : a humble plea
Date   Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:30:13 -0500

This is not in Timothee's original list, but the feature I seek
most in a text editor is keystroke functionality. I use VIM
(which now includes a nice Stata color-coding scheme) because,
having lived off the old -vi- for many years, I can find, change,
move and otherwise edit large amounts of code more efficiently
than I ever could using a mouse+keystroke editor. However, it
seems that no other editors are pursuing this kind of functionality,
or at least don't advertise it.

David Elliott wrote:
There are a number of text editors that do a fine job integrating with
Stata.  I personally use NoteTab [ ] which is
programmable and there is a clip library available at [ ] which contains
commands to run / do /do selection and a number of Stata-friendly
functions.  It is a multi-paned editor so you can have many do / ado
files, logs and such open at once.