st: RE: Do-File editor : a humble plea

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Do-File editor : a humble plea
Date   Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:09:27 -0000

StataCorp may or may not wish to reply, but the reply
I have heard several times at users' meetings is one
you anticipate in your posting. The do file editor
is a minimal editor and designed as such. Many
Stata users, like yourself, want something much, much
more in an editor and StataCorp respects that. Indeed
if you visited StataCorp you would find that developers
there spend large fractions of their time inside
their own favo[u]rite text editor (singular). In short,
we who use them all love nice text editors.

But the trade-offs here are not favourable to your request.

1. Experienced Stata users, including those who work
intensively with repeatedly re-edited do files and
programs, already in many cases have long since been
using their own favo[u]rite editors.

2. Many introductory users don't care much about
editors.

3. Bluntly, adding a better do file editor to Stata
won't ship many extra copies of Stata. Adding major new
statistical features to Stata does that.

4. Syntax highlighting or colouring which you ask
for is a tricky programming problem at the best of times.
My wild guess, based on comments heard and overheard,
is that the programming effort required for that exceeds
that already invested in the editor. Also, StataCorp
would not want to ship anything that did not work
extremely well almost always. I wonder if that can be
guaranteed there are many constraints here,
including the fact that there is no closed vocabulary
for Stata, as users can invent their own program names.

Having said that, there are specific requests here
for multiple undo and Firefox-like tabs which no
doubt will go on to a "To think about" list.

However, your report

> - The ctrl + S shortcut to save the do-file doesn't seem to work, at
> least with me. It took me a while to realize it, so that I had to
> experience a few disasters in my early days as a Stata-user.

doesn't, I think, supply anything that the developers at StataCorp
can react to. Send them much more detail of what you mean.