Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: ram memory: microsoft fix does not work

From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: ram memory: microsoft fix does not work
Date   Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:34:44 -0500

The hotfix resolves a specific problem which your machine/OS apparently did not have -- if you had the problem, you most likely would have seen maximum memory allocations below 1GB prior to the hotfix. It is not a ram booster, just a way to overcome one memory mis-managment feature of Win XP. Instead, you are encountering a fundamental problem with 32 bit Win XP.

Michael Blasnik

Roberto Mura wrote:

Dear Michael, thank you for your kind email.
Indeed I was not aware that the 1.2G is some sort of standard benchmark.
I am glad to hear that the hotfix by Microsoft works at least in some
I am afraid it did not have this effect on  mine. What lead me to
believe it to be ineffective is that I could set memory 1195m before
the hotfix and after.