Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: ram memory: ms fix does not work (surprised?)

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: ram memory: ms fix does not work (surprised?)
Date   Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:22:45 -0500

Others have suggested technical tweaks to your computer. I would suggest that if you are trying to create 1049 GMM Instruments in xtabond2, you probably want to rethink your strategy. If your T is double-digit, letting xtabond2 (or any implementation of Arellano- Bond) make all the possible instruments is a very bad idea. Use the lags suboption to control how far back it goes to generate instruments -- in my own work lags 3-5 are usually enough. Allowing xtabond2 to use lags 3-17 is a recipe for disaster, even if you don't run into problems with XP's memory mismanagement.

For comparison, an Apple xServe with 6 Gb RAM -- a "last-generation" machine, not one of the new Intel Macs -- is running Stata as a 32- bit app (due to the operating system) although the machine is 64-bit. The next release of Mac OS X will allow 'true' 64-bit apps (as Solaris or some Linuxes do). On that machine, I can get away with

set mem 2250m

with no problem.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics