Re: st: Dialog programming: (I)what lists can be passed (II)How to put quotes

From   "James Hassell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dialog programming: (I)what lists can be passed (II)How to put quotes
Date   Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:08:29 -0600

-- David Elliott wrote --

>(I)
>I basically want a dialog to do the following:
>
>1) if no dataset is open, open a dataset or, if one is open, use it or
>open a different one.  I know how to do this with the FILE control and
>filter() option
>
>2) subsequently, I want to populate two variable lists to be used in
>COMBOBOX dropdownlists.  They should consist of (a) a list filtered to
>include only numeric variables and (b) a list of all variables (I
>don't want to use the VARLIST control unless I absolutely have to)
>
>I have already figured out that, since Stata must load the file first
>to populate the lists, I have to have an intermediate step to open the
>file.  Also, since the dialog must wait for that action, I have made
>it a SYNCHRONOUS_ONLY dialog.
>
>I'd like to populate my lists with:
>
>PROGRAM LOAD_VAR /*Load Measure and Grouper varlists*/
>BEGIN
>foreach var of varlist * {
>	local type : type `var'
>	global allvar $allvar `var'
>	if inlist("`type'","byte","int","long","float","double") {
>		global measlist $measlist `var'
>		}
>	}
>END
>
>or, alternatively, something like
>
>PROGRAM LOAD_VAR /*Load Measure and Grouper varlists*/
>BEGIN
>put "quietly ds, not(type string)"
>stata
>global measlist `r(varlist)' /* would contain all numeric variables */
>put "quietly ds"
>stata
>global allvar `r(varlist)'
>END
>
>I can see that my lists have been created by issuing a post dialog
>-mac dir-. Unfortunately, I can't tell if this sort of construct is
>allowed for COMBOBOX controls although you appear to be able to pass
>global strings to an EDIT control.  So am I trying to micturate to
>windward here?  I can see other situations where one might want to
>pass lists to a combobox, for example have contents(variable labels)
>values(variable list). (I am programming dialogs for non/occasional
>users of Stata and am trying to insulate people form cryptic variable
>names)  I have had no difficulty programming comboboxes with this type
>of construct in other languages so I am surprised I can't seem to do
>it here.

(II)
Another issue I have been unable to resolve is how to *put* a "quoted
string" onto the rstring.  As a silly example:

--

Dialog boxes do not have some of the constructs needed to program what
you want, so you will need to write an ado program which can be called

.d1_dlg --- The name of the dialog box specified by the filename with "_dlg"
appended to the end.

 .variables is the name of the LIST which was specified by the dialog box,
 and also linked to the COMBOBOX by its contents option.

 See -help dialog_programming- Appendix B. For more information on
 class programming with dialogs.

/************ Begin d1.dlg ************/
/*

*!  VERSION 1.0.0  06nov2006

*/

VERSION 9
SYNCHRONOUS_ONLY
POSITION . . 400 300
COPY 	copy1
OK ok1,	label("OK")
CANCEL	can1, label("Cancel")
SUBMIT	sub1, label("Submit")
RESET	res1

PROGRAM PREINIT_PROGRAM
BEGIN
	put "d1_init"
	stata hidden
END

DIALOG main, label("Test COMBOBOX control as varlist")
BEGIN
  TEXT     tx_cb1	10	10	100	.,	///
	label("Variable:") right
  COMBOBOX cb1		+105	@	240	.,	///
  	dropdownlist contents(variables)
END

LIST variables
BEGIN
	// intentionally empty
	// this list will be populated by d1_init.ado
END

PROGRAM command
BEGIN
    /* quoting examples */