Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Hausman's test for the two-way random effects model

From   "Kate Ivanova" <>
Subject   st: Hausman's test for the two-way random effects model
Date   Sat, 4 Nov 2006 09:17:16 -0600

I would like to perform Hausman's test to compare two-way fixed
effects versus two-way random effects model (that is, I have both
country and year specific effects). I estimate the models using
xtmixed but I am not sure what the correct syntax for Hausman's test
should be or whether this test can be applied to two-way models at

So far, I have typed

xtmixed depvar indepvar countrydummies yeardummies
est store fixed
xtmixed depvar indepvar || _all: || _all: R.year
hausman fixed

The test is perfomed and I get the chi2 value. But then I also get
"(V_b-V_B is not positive definite)."

I would appreciate any help with the correct syntax for the two-way
model or for any alterantive ways to test fixed versus random effects
in a two-way model.

Thank you very much in advance.