RE: st: RE: how to generate a variable using the estimation results

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: how to generate a variable using the estimation results
Date   Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:43:31 -0000

This is standard stuff covered in the help and
the manuals or learnable by simple experiments.

But in short

_b[]

is Stata standard notation for a parameter (coefficient) in
a model. Usually a varname belongs in the [], with
the important exception _cons. But with non-linear
models there is typically not a one-to-one correspondence
between parameters and variables -- else they would be
linear -- and so the notation /parametername is the
alternative adopted. Or so I surmise.

Try

. sysuse auto
. gen gpm = 1/mpg
. nl (gpm = {a}*weight)

or any other example. (I know it's linear).

Kyle Hood

Nick Cox wrote:

> >> This sounds like a bad idea. The parameter can be saved as
> a scalar or a
> >> local macro, but using a variable for
> >> the same number again and again is usually unnecessary.
> >> Still, there might be a good idea, or you might insist, so
> if so try
> >> gen rho = _b[/rho]
> >> but consider also
> >>
> >> scalar rho = _b[/rho]