st: inverting large, sparse matrices

From   "Pierre Azoulay" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: inverting large, sparse matrices
Date   Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:27:43 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

I am looking into the best strategy (and software package) to invert a
sparse positive definite 25,000 by 25,000 matrix. Is that something
feasible at all? I really have no idea. Does one need a supercomputer
to do this? Or would Stata/MP and 16 gigs of RAM do on a server do?
Would stata and matlab serve me equally well? Are there references to
look at? Are cholinv() and invsym() the right mata functions to look
at? Will these functions make use of the fact that the matrix is
sparse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pierre