Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Use of -exit- within -foreach- or -forvalues-

From   "Ben Jann" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Use of -exit- within -foreach- or -forvalues-
Date   Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:17:45 +0100

Hi, I always thought that using -exit- within a -program-
would terminate the program no matter what. However, I
now used -exit- within a -foreach- loop and -exit- did
not seem to have any effect. Here is an example:

. prog test1
  1.         local num 1 2 3
  2.         foreach n of local num {
  3.                 if "`n'"=="2" {
  4.                         di "`n' => exit"
  5.                         exit
  6.                 }
  7.                 di "`n'"
  8.                 mac shift
  9.         }
 10.         di "not to be reached"
 11. end

. test1
2 => exit
not to be reached

Neither the -foreach- loop, nor the program is
terminated. This is not what I expected and I cannot
find anything about it in the documentation.
Furthermore, note that -exit- works as expected within
a -while- loop (this is documented in [P] while):

. prog test2
  1.         local num 1 2 3
  2.         tokenize "`num'"
  3.         while "`1'"!="" {
  4.                 if "`1'"=="2" {
  5.                         di "`1' => exit"
  6.                         exit
  7.                 }
  8.                 di "`1'"
  9.                 mac shift
 10.         }
 11.         di "not to be reached"
 12. end

. test2
2 => exit

I checked the Statalist Archive and found a similar
thread, see

Stephen Jenkins ( reported a
problem with -exit- within a -forvalues- loop and
Ken Higbee ( gave an answer. However,
Ken's answer does appear incorrect (or at least
incomplete) to me. Stephen's code looked something

	forval i = ... {
		if mod(...) == 0 {

and part of Ken's answer was:

"-exit- without a return code (or in other words,
with a zero return code) pops you out of the current
process.  The -if mod(...) == 0 { ... }- block is
considered a process, so the -exit- is only popping
you up out of that -if- block of code, and since the
return code is zero, there is no error and the -forval-
loop continues on its merry way."

However, -exit- does not terminate the loop even if
not included in an -if- block:

. prog test
  1.         local list 1 2 3
  2.         foreach l of local list {
  3.                 di "`l'"
  4.                 exit
  5.         }
  6.         di "howdy"
  7. end

. test

Furthermore note that the -display- command after the
loop is not executed. So -exit- does not terminate
the loop but it terminates the program? Huh?

Although it is not much of a problem to me that -exit-
does not work within -foreach- (I just use -while-
instead of -foreach-), I'd like make the following

- It is very irritating that -exit- has a different
  effect in a -while- loop than in a -foreach- or
  -forvalues- loop. One would not expect that and it
  is likely to cause confusion. Documentation should
  say something about it (especially since use of -exit-
  is documented for -while-).

- It is still unclear to me what is going on. Why does
  -exit- not terminate the program if used in a
  -foreach- loop? Can anyone clarify? And what exactly
  is a "process" in [P] exit?
- Ken's advice was to use -continue, break- ("Okay, so
  what should you do?  Use the -continue, break- command
  to exit out of the -forval- loop; see '[P] continue'").
  However, the reason for using -exit- is to terminate
  the whole -program- (also in Stephen's case).